Last night's win over Juventus at San Siro means that Inter have now won six Italian Super Cups. In their tenth participation in the competition the Nerazzurri won the trophy by beating Juventus for the second time in extra time, just as they did in 2005.
That means Inter now can boast 41 trophies in their collection: 19 Scudetti, three European Cups/Champions Leagues, two Intercontinental Cups, one Club World Cup, three UEFA Cups, seven Coppa Italias and six Italian Super Cups.
INTER'S SIX SUPER CUP TRIUMPHS
1989 | Inter 2-0 Sampdoria
2005 | Juventus 0-1 Inter
2006 | Inter 4-3 Roma
2008 | Inter 2-2 Roma (Inter win 8-7 on penalties AET)
2010 | Inter 3-1 Roma
2021 | Inter 2-1 Juventus
INTER SUPER CUP STATS
- In winning their sixth Italian Super Cup only Juventus (nine) and Milan (seven) have won more than Inter. Last night's win was the Nerazzurri's first Super Cup triumph since 2010.
- Simone Inzaghi has become the coach who has beaten Juventus the greatest number of times in a final since 1929/30. All three of these wins came in the Super Cup - two with Lazio and one with Inter.
- Simone Inzaghi has the best track record of any coach in the Super Cup - three appearances and three wins.
- The Super Cup went to extra time for the first time since 2016: in that edition Juventus lost to Milan on penalties.
- In games between Inter and Juventus in the Super Cup two have gone to extra time (in 2005 and 2022) with the Nerazzurri victorious on both occasions.
- In the last five matches between Inter and Juventus in all competitions six penalties have been awarded (four for Juventus and two for Inter), after only two were awarded in the previous 10 matches.
- Alexis Sanchez's goal in the 121st minute is the latest ever scored in an Italian Super Cup Final: it beat Gonzalo Higuain's against Juventus in 2014 which was scored in the 118th minute.
- Lautaro Martinez scored the first penalty in a Super Cup final since Paulo Dybala did in 2017 against Lazio.
- All of Lautaro Martinez's three penalties against Juventus have come at the Meazza: one in Serie A, one in the Coppa Italia and one in the Italian Super Cup.
- Matteo Darmian made his 50th appearance for Inter in last night's game.