MILAN – The Serie A fixture list for the 2021/22 season will be announced on Wednesday evening from 18:30 CEST, with Inter fans able to follow proceedings live on inter.it, the official Inter app, Inter TV and our YouTube, Twitter and Facebook pages.
SERIE A 2021/22 DATES
Serie A 2021/22 will begin on 22 August and conclude nine months later, on 22 May. There are five midweek rounds planned, five international breaks and a winter break from 23 December to 5 January. Once the match-ups themselves have been decided, the specific dates and times will be announced.
First round: 22 August 2021.
Midweek rounds: 22 September; 27 October; 1 December; 22 December; 6 January.
International breaks: 5 September; 10 October; 14 November; 30 January; 27 March.
Winter break: 23 December to 5 January.
Final round: 22 May 2022.
NEW FEATURES: NON-SYMMETRICAL FORMAT
Serie A buffs will know that the league has always been organised into two rounds, with the order in the first round matching that of the second exactly. But for the first time ever, the 2021/22 season will see the two rounds played in different orders.
Lega Serie A has released some of the main criteria for the schedule:
- No team can play two consecutive home or away games more than twice in each round
- The following clubs will alternate home and away games: Cesena and Spezia, Empoli and Fiorentina, Genoa and Sampdoria, Inter and AC Milan, Juventus and Torino, Lazio and Roma, Napoli and Salernitana, SPAL and Venezia
- No reverse fixture will take place within eight matches of the original fixture
- Matches between Atalanta, Inter, Juventus, Lazio, AC Milan, Napoli and Roma cannot take place during midweek rounds, and neither can the Genoa, Milan, Rome, Turin, Tuscany and Campania derbies
- No derby can take place in Week 1 or 38 and no two derbies can take place in the same Week
- No repetitions of the 2020/21 fixture list (same match in the same Week, with the same home and away team) may take place
- Clubs who faced each other in Week 1 of the 2019/20 and 2020/21 seasons cannot meet in Week 1 of the 2021/22 season
- Clubs who faced each other in Week 38 of the 2019/20 and 2020/21 seasons cannot meet in Week 38 of the 2021/22 season
- Clubs participating in the UEFA Champions League (Atalanta, Inter, Juventus and AC Milan) cannot meet clubs participating in the UEFA Europa League (Lazio and Napoli) or the UEFA Conference League (Roma) on matchdays that follow a UEFA Europa League/UEFA Conference League matchday (Weeks 4, 7, 9, 12, 14, 17, 26, 27, 29, 30, 32, 33, 35 and 36)
- Both Inter and AC Milan must play away from home in Week 7 due to the UEFA Nations League semi-finals