MILAN - Samir Handanovic is among the ten goalkeepers nominated for the Yashin Trophy 2019. The award, which is in its first year, was established by France Football and will be bestowed upon the best goalkeeper in the world for 2019. The prize is named after Lev Yashin, the legendary Dynamo Moscow and Soviet Union goalkeeper, who became the only non-outfield player ever to win the Ballon d’Or when he won the award back in 1963.
The award ceremony will take place on 2 December, on the same evening where the Ballon d’Or winner will also be announced. Handanovic, aged 35, is in his eighth season at Inter and recently made his 300th appearance in a Nerazzurri shirt. He also won the Serie A goalkeeper of season award for the 2018/2019 season.
The complete list of nominees for the Yashin Trophy 2019
- Alisson Becker (BRA - Liverpool)
- Kepa Arrizabalaga (SPA - Chelsea)
- Ederson (BRA - Manchester City)
- Samir Handanovic (SLO - Inter)
- Hugo Lloris (FRA - Tottenham)
- Manuel Neuer (GER - Bayern Munich)
- Jan Oblak (SLO - Atletico Madrid)
- André Onana (CAM - Ajax)
- Wojciech Szczesny (POL - Juventus)
- Marc-André ter Stegen (GER - Barcelona).